at first glance, my weekend may not have seemed like anything formidable. i guess it wasn’t in certain ways, but from a different perspective it was definitely a triumph.
- thursday was the only day i did anything. the delightful evening took place at lydias, where we heard stories that were utterly ridiculous about her former roommate and their current quest to find a replacement (which it turns out is far easier said than done). i hope they find someone soon, lydia and kathy don’t deserve this fiasco.
- friday i worked with middle schoolers in the morning, which i was partly looking forward to and partly dreading. they turned out to be great kids. the school they go to, and where they live, is not a great area. they seemed to really enjoy working with clay, and were certainly more greatful than i would expect wealthier kids to be. there was an appreciation for the clay, and an appreciation for everyone who devoted their time to show them how to throw. i know i’m being cheesy, but it was a really endearing and beautiful thing. i still think middle school kids are a pain though.
- this weekend was the french film festival in carytown, the most well respected french film festival in the states for those who don’t know. i always love this weekend because, even though i work during the festival, the people are just 100% cool. every weekend we get your run of the mill customers, you know the same old personalities that you appreciate (or in some cases don’t) but come to expect. when the french people and students from Lycee Rochambeau in Maryland come to see the movies it’s kind of like a breath of fresh air. the students, while still obviously young, seem way more mature than kids here. they are like psuedo adults. i love talking to them, about the music they’re into, how the movies are going, what they’ve been up to while in richmond. it’s the same thing with the adults, i met some people from france who work at the french embassy in dc. i know i’m stating the obvious here, but the french know how to look good. even the american students at Lycee Rochambeau dress so chic. it’s like speaking french makes you have style. why the fuck didn’t i take french?
- i’ve determined that if you can speak french fluently you are attractive. no questions asked. i know some may disagree, but speaking french definitely boosts you sexiness up a hundred fold.
- i didn’t go out friday or saturday night, friday i didn’t want to. so that was good, last night i did, but nothing happened. i don’t really care though, i ended up just listening to records with my mom and after she left i danced in the dark to aha shake heartbreak alone. the only light source was the tracking light on my turntable.
- today i was driving around at about 6:30. the sun was low in the sky and my smeared windshield was refracting sunlight in all directions. i couldn’t see at all. while i started to freak out about how i could be driving off the road and have no idea about it because of my temporary blindness to the outside world, i noticed a little scratch in the glass right in front of me. somehow it created a prism in the glass that presented to me a rainbow about the length and thickness of an eyelash. it was the silver lining. i remember i was listening to “your voice” by santogold/santigold and just soaking in the miniscule beauty before me.
- ive found that i’ve been doing a lot of daydreaming recently. i’ve always been a dreamer, and sometimes i’m much more conscious of it than other times. this weekend is an example of when i’ve been well aware of all my thoughts. dreaming about my future is one of my favorite pasttimes. i love thinking about what i want to do, somedays i want to be super famous, like john lennon at the peak of the beatles famous. other times i want to be a high school teacher at some private boarding school in europe. sometimes i just want to be the best god damn ceramicist that ever walked the earth. sometimes i think of my future homelife, how many kids will i have will i have kids? who will be my wife? will i have a wife? it varies all the time, and everytime i get lost in my mind. i just want to wake up from a slumber in one of those dreams and have it be reality. i just want to be in my ideal future and have all my current thoughts and actions just be memories that i look back on fondly.
i really don’t like the harry potter movies, well the third was pretty good and the fifth was ok, but for the most party its obvious that the books are far superior.
but i have to say, i decided to watch the first harry potter movie. there was only one problem: my dvd’s of the first two are at my apartment (i’m at my parents house now). but luckily i have the first one on vhs here.
watching it on vhs makes it seem like i’m watching a mid 90’s movie reliving my childhood.
it’s like listening to something on vinyl. i’m watching it on what is the original format, and it makes the experience so nostalgic. the sound isnt crisp, the dark scenes are almost too dark to see anything, the colors are a little muted, but i wouldn’t have it any other way.
- spring break has been a source of unprecedented fun for me. since last thursday it has been a perpetual source of awesome, but i’m glad that tonight i stayed in. my body is worn out!
- i decided to write right now to see if it would help me stay awake long enough to watch late night with jimmy fallon. i’m fading so fast. it’s just language man. all fiction.
- i need a
- leaf was saying all sorts of weird shit today man! for those unaware of the man named leaf: he plays the guitar and sings a total of 5 songs over and over again across the street from bang on. he comes into bang on 2-4 times a day to either a) use our bathroom b) use my boss and me as objects to talk at and c) to use bang on’s acoustic’s to hear himself talk. today he was talking about how he’s seen all these ufo’s, and how one time he and his friends were smoking a blunt around area 51 (an unlikely story) and they saw a ufo, but couldn’t tell if it was a ufo or the weed. in the end they concluded it was a ufo. now that story, i may have mixed up with a couple of his other stories (and made it into 2 sentences, as opposed to a graduate thesis length like the leaf originals) but those are the major details. then he told my boss how to kill a duck without using a weapon. ok leaf. i like him, but he’s like kramer only not a guy you want to have access to your apartment all the time. or touching your things…
- i still need to get that beer.
- got it.
- is anyone sick of leno yet? or rather, is anyone not sick of leno still? seriously i thought conan was supposd to take over, when exactly does that take place. fallon is doing a great job, conan WOULD be doing a great job. and why does he have to move out to LA? i always thought NYC was his place, his city, sharing his mindset. sorry but frankly i don’t really like the west coast. the attitude just isnt for me. i kind of hate it actually. anyway back to the topic at hand. where in the world is conan o’brien? right now i’m forced to watch leno wearing a bad suit, talking to dwayne “the rock” johnson, and acting pseudo interested in the rock’s incredibly cheesy movie career. where’s conan having banter with andy richter, max weinberg, la bamba, and that guy in the audience.
- dwayne “the rock” johnson apparently loves song and dance.
- i’ve run out of words